Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Great Expectations

It has been forever since I even looked at my blog.  We've had some new developments in our family though, so I thought it was a good time to clear out the cobwebs and give an update.

As some of you may know, Bill & I have had adoption on our mind for quite some time.  We have started and stopped and started again.  It has been a very bumpy journey to say the least.  We found a great agency here in Minnesota and applied to the South Korea program where we were excited to be approved and move fairly easily through the program.  I thought "Finally, this is where we are supposed to be and the timing is right."  Our homestudy was approved about a week and a half ago and it seemed that all we had to do was wait and enjoy the excitement of anticipating a referral.  Except that I was having trouble with the excitement part.  I couldn't shake the feeling that something felt a little 'off', or missing, or.....late.

So early the next morning I took a test and two little pink lines confirmed what my body had already been telling me.  A blood-test with off the chart numbers and an ultrasound with a quick, strong little heartbeat chased away any doubt that was remaining.  To say that we are overwhelmed and confused would be the understatement of the year.  And, yes, of course, we are excited too!

Our adoption at this time is on hold.  I don't know when and if we'll go back to it.  We have dreamed of adopting for as long as we've dreamed of having children.  It was never an 'either/or' decision, or something we decided on as a second choice.  It was and still is something very dear to our hearts.  But I must admit that we have had an insane number of roadblocks every time we move in that direction.  I have no idea if God will make adoption part of our family story in the future.  No matter what direction He leads, I know it will be right for our family.

In the meantime, we have a new little one to look forward to and lots of planning ahead.  Not to mention the first trimester to get through in one piece!  Homeschooling through all-day sickness and exhaustion have left me pining away for summer like never before.  I'm only about 7 1/2 weeks along and my due date is December 29.  We are praying we do not have a Christmas baby, in part because the logistics for that could get pretty difficult without any family around (and let's face it, who wouldn't rather be home at Christmas instead of a hospital!).  Again it's one of those things we have no control over in life, so we will wait and see.

We'd love your prayers for the baby and pregnancy to be very healthy.  I had some complications previously that could be an issue again, and I know that statistically being 35 this year only raises some of my risks.  We hesitated to spread the news too early, but ultimately decided that the love and support of family and friends is what we need, whether things are perfect or not.  Also: our kids know.  And if you talk to them for more than five minutes, you're bound to find out!  :)

I'll be keeping more frequent updates on our family adventures and pregnancy on my blog.  We have to have another ultrasound in a couple of weeks, so I'll be sure to share about that as well.  Thanks for checking in!



No comments:

Post a Comment