Friday, September 16, 2011

cozy mornings

It has been one long week.  One of those weeks that feels like a month.  I'm not entirely certain what made it feel so long and dreary, I just know that it seemed endless!  Today started no less gray than the mornings before it.  The grumbling, whining, aching, and sleepiness that had been with us all week showed no signs of leaving.  And then my 5-year-old came to me (after a very early morning timeout) with a pencil drawn picture of a broken heart and a slightly overly dramatic sad face.  And despite the obvious dramatics, I had to admit that I felt the same way.  We had all allowed our grumpiness to get the best of us instead of giving the best of us to each other. 

So I decided to change the atmosphere in our home this morning.  I stopped what I was doing and the three of us snuggled on the couch and turned on our gas fireplace to take the literal and figurative chill out of the air.  We listened to a silly story created by my 8-year-old about a lake monster.  We ate toast and tea with the scent of a fall candle burning.  We listened to a piano play comforting Christmas melodies (via itunes - we don't have that talent ourselves - yet.  And yes, I am aware it is only September!).

Simple, purposeful and loving.  Who knew that such seemingly insignficant changes could so quickly change the tone of our home?  We are now ready to end our week.  Together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment