Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sun-dried Tomato & Basil Pesto - Yum!


I have lots of ideas swimming in my head for blog posts, but I haven't set aside regular time to put my thoughts into words.  I wanted to take a few moments today though, as this is one recipe I've been anxious to share!  Several weeks ago, I decided I needed to harvest my basil-turned-giant-beanstalk-plant and figure out a way to turn it into something spectacular for dinner.  I love, love, love the idea of walking outside and picking fresh ingredients to feed my family.  Perhaps we are destined for a 'farm' someday but, for now, I am just excited that I haven't killed anything growing in the clay pots on our deck! 

I searched my collection of cookbooks and a number of Internet sites, and couldn't find a recipe that would work with what I had on hand, so I combined a few ideas, experimented with ingredient portions and turned out a delicious dinner that even my kids gobbled up!

Here is my take on Sun-dried Tomato Basil Pesto:

1 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
8.5 oz. sun-dried tomatoes in oil
2/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
4 garlic cloves, minced
2TB pine nuts (+more to toast for garnish)
salt & pepper to taste

In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients.  Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary.  I added most of the olive oil in the beginning and then gradually add more to make it the right consistency and flavor.  Serve over your favorite pasta with toasted pine nuts & parmesan cheese.

 It yielded about 1 3/4 cups, which I was able to divide in half and use for two meals.  The pesto froze in small containers very well.  After filling each, I topped them with a slim layer of olive oil to keep ice from forming right on the pesto (it is easy to take the extra oil out when you defrost it).  I later read several tips on freezing pesto which stated you should not freeze pesto that already has the cheese mixed in, for quality reasons.  Being that I read that after I made it, I froze it anyways, and still had delicious results!  Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment